Artists and Performers

I have immense love and respect for my "capital A Artist" friends who write such fascinating and creative and wonderful music (and sometimes let me sing it)!  And I'm intrigued by (albeit occasionally defensive about) the fact that I'm not really one of them.

What I think is that there are 2 main categories: Artists and Performers.  I am staunchly in the latter camp.  I love being on stage, performing for and connecting with the audience.  For me, it's all about that connection.  The moment when the band and the crowd are like one organism - I live for the recognition applause for the arpeggio at the top of "I Will Survive" or the guitar riff that begins "Sweet Child of Mine".  I  get goosebumps when I hear people spontaneously begin singing along - sometimes even singing the harmonies - and it's an immense thrill to be able to hold out the microphone over the dancefloor and feel like a rock star while the audience takes over the chorus!

I'm not saying I will never perform original material.  And I love getting to play on my friends' demos or sing backups for their fantabulous original projects.  But for now, I love what I'm doing and I want to do more!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving a Legacy of Music

What Happens When a Performer Doesn't Perform?