What I did on my Summer Vacation (by Julia)

This writing project was always my favourite part about going back to school.

Honestly, I was kind of a nerd and the whole "going back to school" thing was super-exciting for me. Even now, I get all excited about shopping for paper and pens and pencils, reorganizing my desk and starting "fresh" for the new school year. 

But the annual written retrospective on the summer that just passed was extra special. We always pretty much did the same stuff, year after year, but getting to think about it and remember it, fix the best memories in my mind while everything was still fresh - I've always loved it. 

I had a pretty awesome summer, really - not as exciting as 2013, when I got married, or as adventurous as 2014, when we roadtripped across two countries (and back again) and certainly not as dramatic as 2015, which started with a wedding, included an international move, and ended with a funeral. No, this summer was just a collection of all the things that I love in a "summer holiday:" Lots of music, mostly played outside in the sunshine, days by the water (also in the sunshine), visits with friends, relaxation and replenishment.


Both bands were quite active this summer. Martin Henry and Freedom Street played almost every week, all throughout Northwest Oregon and Southwest Washington - from County Fairs to the Moose Lodge to a Wedding, a Customer Appreciation BBQ and a Town Jamboree! I always have a great time playing with these folks, and it's a lot of fun to get to just show up and play - no responsibility to be the band leader - it feels like quite the luxury!

I'm looking forward to having time to learn some new tunes with them through the fall, and getting ready for a fantastic Hallowe'en gig that's even pretty close to home! 



JPJQ was also pretty busy this summer - after our great night launching the CD in Vancouver, we finally found the perfect fourth member for our little family. Alex Margititch is Team Portland's new guitarist, and he's a great guy, who we look forward to playing with A LOT!

Personnel finally established, we got to play two wonderful shows in August. The first was as part of Gresham's Music Mondays Summer Concert Series. The Gresham Arts Center Plaza was packed with people, and we had a chance to play a whole bunch of new arrangements in front of an amazingly warm and welcoming crowd. 

The other one was probably the most picturesque location I've ever played. Villa Catalana Cellars (a winery just outside of Oregon City) is a little piece of heaven, and the wine is wonderful, too! 

We were thrilled to discover that a lot more students continue their lessons over the summer than they ever did in Canada (which was a relief, since we'd just moved into a new apartment - which is always a bit nervewracking when you're heading into what is traditionally the leanest season for music teachers)! The only down side was that we didn't have too much time to go on road trips just for fun... but we did manage to have one out to the Oregon Coast - my first trip there! We also had a lovely visit from Adam's Dad and Stepmom, as well as our great friend Doug and his girlfriend, Jess. We're thrilled to finally have a place where we can host our friends, and I love the fact that the apartment complex has not one, not two, but three outdoor pools, which I hope will stay open for a little while longer... I'm not ready to entirely give up on summer just yet!

So, that's what I did on my summer vacation... it really couldn't have been better! And now, back to work teaching, and rehearsing, and marketing, and blogging, and booking gigs for JPJQ, and... well, we have a trip to Kansas booked at Christmas!

Happy Fall!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving a Legacy of Music

Artists and Performers

What Happens When a Performer Doesn't Perform?